In this video we will go over how to add Google Home to Samsung SmartThings as smart devices so that SmartThings can actually make Google Speak. Setting up this capability is a big game changer for your home automation rules, and can really add another dimension to SmartThings.
Starting cast-web-api on boot:
You can use any of your favorite options to have programs start on boot for raspberry pi. To get cast-web-api to run on bootup I used systemd. There is a startup command you can run for cast-web-api but I was not able to get it to work.
You can use the below service file if you would like to use systemd:
[Unit] Description=Start cast-web-api After=network.target [Service] Type=forking ExecStart=/usr/bin/cast-web-api-cli start ExecStop=/usr/bin/cast-web-api-cli stop [Install] WantedBy=multi-user.target
A great resource on using systemd on raspberry pi can be found here
- Main page: https://vervallsweg.github.io/cast-web/
- Instillation instructions: https://vervallsweg.github.io/cast-web/installation/
- How to update cast-web-api: https://vervallsweg.github.io/cast-web/updating/
- Help: https://vervallsweg.github.io/cast-web/help/
- How to support the creator: https://vervallsweg.github.io/cast-web/donate/
- Preset information: https://vervallsweg.github.io/smartthings/cast-web-preset-generator/preset-generator.html
5 thoughts on “Making SmartThings Smarter with cast-web-api”
Binged on your excellent webCoRe videos, and was thinking, “next thing is to figure out how to make Google Home say something”. And then this video appears. All round excellent work.
Ha well glad to have helped! I have a new video on webCoRe coming out later this week hopefully so keep an eye out for it!
Anything you’d like to seen covered in up coming videos?
Side note – Sorry for the delayed response, I’ve been getting hundreds of spam comments on my site so it takes a little bit of time to find the real ones to approve.
Great write up thank you!
How does it work today? There’s only the new ST app left and in your video you say settings up the smartapp only works in the Classic app..?
Next, does it work with other languages (for me Danish) or is it only English?
Nevermind.. Just saw the other video..